Monday, June 26, 2017

on DIVERSITY in our YA

I've got to say that this is something you might least expect from a writer/reader in our modern society.

I don't believe in diversity in books.

You must think I'm crazy right now. I am, but not in this area. You have a right too. Just like you also have the right to choose to or not to incorperate diversity into your writing.

  Honestly, this is crazy. This whole "diversity" thing. People have been going way over the top with this. I've read countless posts on this, heard so many people shove it down other's throats, and so on and so forth.

As I say this, most of you who don't know me well are probaby awe-struck, convinced that i'm racist or sexist or something like that. But listen.

I'm not biased.

I have my own opinions, of course. Which means that here and now I won't not offend anyone, because I can guarntee what I'm about to say will bother a few of you. And that's okay. You'll have to deal with it. You've all had a chance to speak, and I have respected each and every word you've said. But now it's my turn, and it's only fair that you hear me out, be kind with your words, or kindly leave.

here's what I'm trying to say.

I don't find writing about characters who are different wrong at all.

And if that's what you feel you want to write about, I encourage you! But surely! It's not something you have to do. It's not something you should have to acheieve.

  We're writers! We write what we want to write, and that's called CREATIVITY. We're all unique in what we write and how we write it! But now, it's becoming a check box! It's becoming something that you must do, and if you DON'T, you get bullied and told you're doing it wrong. You're WRITING WRONG.

  Isn't that BIASED? Shouldn't we be able to write what we want to write? Whether or not it pleases everyone!

  There is nothing wrong with writing about characters of something different. But there is something wrong if you feel a pressure.

So I'm just here to say,

Don't feel like you have to write about a diverse main character.

You don't.

Write what you want to write. 

You don't have to be diverse if you don't feel like it works with your writing.

It's not that I disagree with diversity in books. I have no opinion. If you want it in YOUR writing, go for it. If you don't, don't feel the pressure they put on all writers.

Write what YOU feel like writing!!! Don't write what THEY want.

This was clearly a rant, but I hope maybe you feel different about diversity in YA. Please just write what God puts on your heart. Forget about Society's standards. You don't have to do what they want.

Have a great week, guys.







3 comments:

  1. Whoa. This is certainly a viewpoint I've never seen before. XDD Honestly, I don't think diversity should be forced into YA -- because it should ALREADY be there. I mean, if we're trying to write characters that are even remotely realistic, we can just look at the world's ethnic population.

    When I create my characters, I always think of it like this: the number of Asians and African-Americans and Latino people in this world is big enough that if I drew my characters' ethnicities from those proportions, there would be a lot of people of color. Not all of them -- in fact, not most of them -- are all going to be white and of European descent.

    You're very correct in saying that diversity isn't something we should have to achieve -- because it should already be there. We should have to force it in; it should be built straight into our writing. And that's what other bloggers have been saying too about forcing diversity into writing: the diversity checklist is awful -- we should never have to force diverse characters into our stories, because they should come naturally.

    If we look at the people around us, they are diverse and different, and our stories should reflect all the different shades of skin color out there. :)

    ReplyDelete